2017-2018 Graduate Catalog 
    Nov 27, 2021  
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Admissions

Our graduate programs are designed to provide capable students with opportunities for individual inquiry, to prepare qualified individuals for professional leadership roles, to integrate technology throughout the learning process, and to promote the current best practices in our fields of study

To apply to all degree and professional endorsement programs : visit the Longwood University website homepage, www.longwood.edu, and select the “Apply” link at the top of the page to apply online.

Graduate Admission Requirements

  • Graduate of a four-year regionally accredited college or university
  • A minimum, overall undergraduate GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) unless specified otherwise below. If not, either a minimum mean score on 2 out of 3 parts (verbal, quantitative, analytical writing) of the General GRE test OR a GPA of 3.5 on 6 hours of Longwood graduate courses that are part of the degree program to which the applicant is applying taken as a non-degree registrant within the last 12 months.
  • A 500 word or more personal essay in which you discuss your reasons for seeking graduate education including your career goals and how the graduate program to which you are applying would help to meet those goals; prior work/life experiences which relate to your interest in, and aptitude for, the graduate program to which you are applying; and your perception of your intellectual capability to complete successfully your graduate program.
  • A personal résumé.
  • A minimum of two recommendations related to your competence and effectiveness in your academic and professional work.

Additional Program Specific Requirements:

Communication Sciences and Disorders master’s degree program

  • Applicants to this program must have either an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders OR an undergraduate degree in an unrelated discipline.
  • Applicants with an undergraduate degree in an unrelated discipline must complete the following courses with a grade of B- or better prior to enrollment in graduate level course work: Anatomy & Physiology of Speech & Hearing Mechanisms, Phonetics (Transcription), Speech Science, Introduction to Audiology & Hearing Science, Language Development Across the Lifespan, Phonology & Language Disorders, Neurology of Human Communication, Morphology & Syntax, Introduction to Clinical Practice, and Sign Language or courses deemed com- parable by the CSD graduate faculty. Students can be admitted without these courses and will complete them during their first two semesters on campus.
  • A minimum, overall undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale)
  • Scores from the General Test of the GRE taken within the last five years.
  • Three recommendations - Longwood CSD undergraduates must have at least two of the three from faculty other than Longwood CSD faculty.
  • Length of the program: five to six semesters with an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and eight to nine semesters without an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders.
  • To apply
    • Complete the CSDCAS Application.
    • Complete the required components of the Longwood University Online Application.
    • The personal essay, resume/curriculum vitae, recommendations, official transcripts, and GRE scores are components of the CSDCAS application and should NOT be sent to Longwood.
    • The February 1st deadline is an absolute deadline for both applications with all required application materials in ‘Verified’ status by that date for the CSDCAS application. CSDCAS advises that it takes four weeks after achieving ‘complete’ status for the application to be in ‘verified’ status.
  • Applications are reviewed once annually after the February 1st deadline for consideration for admission to the subsequent fall semester. Students accepted for the fall semester are given the option of taking courses the preceding summer.

Business Administration master’s degree program

Education/Counselor Education master’s degree program

  • Applicants must provide a criminal background check.
  • Complete an interview scheduled by the program after review of the complete application materials.

Education/Elementary & Middle School Mathematics master’s degree program

  • Applicants are expected to have two years teaching experience including mathematics curriculum.
  • A current, valid teaching license.

Education/Educational Leadership master’s degree program

  • Applicants are expected to have two years teaching experience.
  • A current valid teaching license.
  • Recommendation of their principal or assistant principal.

Education/Health & Physical Education master’s degree program

  • Applicants must have a current, valid teaching license with an endorsement in HPE or in another field

Education/Special Education General Curriculum master’s degree program

  • Applicants must have a current, valid teaching license.

Education/Special Education General Curriculum Fifth Year master’s degree program

  • Applicants completing their undergraduate degree from Longwood University in Liberal Studies concentrating in Special Education submit in the final semester of the bachelor’s degree
    • The online application;
    • Personal essay; and
    • Résumé.
      The Special Education Admissions Committee reviews all five-year program applicants as a group after the above deadlines.

Education/Special Education General Curriculum Initial Licensure master’s degree program

  • A passing Praxis Core Academics Skills for Educators score OR
  • Equivalent SAT or ACT scores OR
  • Passing VCLA scores plus the equivalent SAT or ACT math score OR
  • Passing VCLA scores plus Praxis Core Academics for Educators: Math score.

Reading, Literacy & Learning master’s degree program

  • Applicants are expected to be currently employed in a school division.
  • Have a current, valid teaching license or have a minimum of two years teaching experience under a full-time teaching contract.
  • Have the capacity to work directly with students in an educational setting as they proceed through the program.

Reading, Literacy & Learning professional endorsement program

  • Applicants must have a master’s degree.
  • A valid postgraduate professional teaching license.
  • Three years of teaching experience.

School Librarianship degree and professional endorsement programs

  • Applicants must have a current, valid teaching license.

School Librarianship Initial Licensure degree program

  • A passing Praxis Core Academics Skills for Educators score OR
  • Equivalent SAT or ACT scores OR
  • Passing VCLA scores plus the equivalent SAT or ACT math score OR
  • Passing VCLA scores plus Praxis Core Academics for Educators: Math score.

Application Deadlines

Our published admission application deadlines in the table below are good guidelines, but not absolute deadlines with the exception of Communication Sciences and Disorders. The application fee is $65.00 and is payable by credit card or ACH as part of the online application. Our Graduate Admissions Office is available to assist with any questions - graduate@longwood.edu or 434-395-2380.

Semester applicant wishes to begin Graduate Program: Completed application packets due to College of Graduate Studies: $100 deposit due in Cashiering for students accepting their offer of admission: Deadline for requesting a refund of the deposit:
Fall Semester May 1 June 30 July 31
Spring Semester October 1 November 15 December 15
Summer Sessions February 1 March 31 April 30
Business Administration, part-time
Fall Semester May 1 June 30 July 31
Business Administration, full-time
Summer Sessions February 1 March 31 April 30
Education/Counselor Education - Mental Health Counseling
Fall Semester February 1 June 30 July 31
Education/Counselor Education - College Counseling/Student Affairs & School Counseling
Summer Sessions February 1 March 31 April 30
Communication Sciences & Disorders - Absolute Deadline
Fall Semester February 1 April 15 June 30

Applications are reviewed by the appropriate program admissions committee only when all application materials have been received and the application is complete. The program admission committee reviews complete applications monthly beginning around the middle of each month. Once the committee has rendered a decision, the College of Graduate & Professional Studies sends prompt, written notification to the applicant. The above dates are applicable to complete applications received by the appropriate deadline.


After an offer of admission, a $100.00 tuition deposit is required of all master’s degree and professional endorsement seeking applicants as an indication of commitment to attend Longwood University. New students are informed of the deposit in the offer-of-admission letter from the College of Graduate and Professional Studies. Deposits, made payable to Longwood University, are processed in the Office of Cashiering and are refundable provided a written withdrawal/refund request is submitted to the College of Graduate and Professional Studies prior to the stated deadlines in the table above. The deposit becomes a credit on the new student’s account.

Cancellation of Admissions Offer

Longwood’s Honor Code prohibits lying, cheating, and stealing. Students who complete the Application for Graduate Admission pledge to abide by the Honor Code. Should a student falsify the information provided on the application, alter academic documents, plagiarize the essay or otherwise issue an untrue statement as part of the application process, the offer of admission will be revoked. The University also reserves the right to revoke an offer of admission:

  • should a student’s academic performance fall below established minimums, or
  • should a student not enroll in a course for the term admitted, or
  • should a student have a criminal conviction, or
  • should a student have been disciplined by any college or university.

Non-Degree Students

  1. No more than nine Longwood non-degree graduate hours may be counted towards a degree, certificate or professional endorsement program. Students are expected to apply to a Longwood graduate program prior to enrolling in classes. At the latest, all application materials should be received before the completion of six hours.
  2. A teacher who is primarily interested in licensure renewal but not credit toward a degree program may enroll as a non-degree student. No application is necessary and registration takes place in the Office of the Registrar.*
  3. A student who is interested in personal enrichment may enroll as a non-degree student. No application is necessary and registration takes place in the Office of the Registrar.*
  4. Graduate courses may be audited, with permission of the instructor and registration takes place in the Office of the Registrar.*

* Registration may be done in person (Barlow Hall) OR via fax (434.395.2252) OR via regular mail (Office of the Registrar, Longwood University, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909) OR via e-mail (registrar@longwood. edu) if you have the capability to scan the completed forms and attach them to the e-mail. The Graduate Course Enrollment Request and In-State Tuition Application forms are available on the Office of the Registrar web site at www.longwood.edu/registrar, select ‘Non-Degree Student’ from the menu.

Second Master’s Degree

A maximum of six (6) credit hours from the first Master’s degree may be applied to the second Master’s degree, provided a grade of B or better was earned in the course(s), they are no more than five years old, and they are applicable to the new program.

Senior Undergraduate Students

A senior at Longwood University may take up to six (6) hours of graduate credit beyond the undergraduate degree requirements. Such credit may be earned only in 500-level courses and, if it meets course requirements for the degree, may be counted toward a Master’s degree. The senior must have an overall GPA that meets the minimum GPA required for admission to the graduate program which offers the course and must receive permission from the department chair of their major and then the Dean of the College of Graduate and Professional Studies. In any case where an undergraduate student is registered for a 500-level course that is to be applied to a graduate degree, the Dean of the College of Graduate and Professional Studies must notify the Office of the Registrar of this designation.

International Students

The University welcomes applications from prospective international students. Our programs are primarily designed for the individual who is employed full-time and wishes to enroll in graduate studies on a part-time basis. Full-time enrollment at the graduate level is nine (9) credit hours per semester and is required for international students studying on an F-1 or J visa.

We have four majors in which full-time enrollment may be possible. Those majors are (1) Education with concentrations in Health & Physical Education, Special Education General Curriculum/Curriculum & Instruction Specialist, and Special Education General Curriculum/K-12 Initial Teaching Licensure; (2) Reading, Literacy & Learning; (3) Communication Sciences & Disorders; and (4) an online MBA concentrating in General Business or Real Estate. This MBA program requires two summer, campus-based, weekend residencies that last from Thursday through Sunday.

In order to qualify for admittance, a graduate international applicant must have the equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and in some of the above programs a minimum 3.0 is required. The international student must also demonstrate proficiency in the English language through the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or International English Language Testing system (IELTS) if English is not the primary language spoken in the household. A minimum score of 570 (paper test) or 80 (Internet test) is required on the TOEFL or a minimum 6.5 on the IELTS for admission. All applicants are expected to meet all admission requirements in order to be considered as we do not grant conditional admits.

To allow time for credential evaluation and unexpected delays in international mail, international applicants should begin the process at least six months before planning to enroll. The College of Graduate and Professional Studies requires a a degree-to-degree credential evaluation for each official college transcript from an accredited evaluating agency. There are several companies that provide this service: AACRAO International Education Services (www.aacrao.org); World Education Services, Inc. (www.wes.org); Global Credential Evaluators (www.gcevaluators.com); are a few examples, there are others. The credential evaluation requires a fee to be paid which is the student’s responsibility.

Medical services in the United States are not nationalized. Costs for doctor’s services and hospitals may be more expensive than in your home country. Longwood requires that you subscribe to a health insurance plan before arriving. That policy must provide similar coverage in the U.S.

Every graduate student must have a health record on file. This record includes immunizations for Measles, German Measles, Rubella, Polio, Diphtheria, Mumps, Tetanus, and a Tuberculosis skin test (PPD) within the past year, which are required by Virginia law. Students may not be able to register for classes without complying with these immunizations. A chest x-ray may also be required for tuberculosis screening.

For additional information regarding health insurance or immunization requirements contact: University Health Center, Longwood University, Farmville, Virginia 23909, U.S.A. or e-mail: studenthealth@longwood.edu.

International applicants must certify sufficient financial resources in order to be issued a visa to attend Longwood. The student visa must be issued prior to enrollment. Please check with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for a complete set of regulations. A foreign national must provide an affidavit that shows that he/she has enough money to pay for the number of years required to complete the Master’s degree. The affidavit must be signed by the student and parent (if applicable) and be notarized by a bank official. Longwood does not provide financial aid for international students.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has authorized Longwood to issue visa documents appropriate for the F-1 non-immigration student status.

Following receipt of all application materials to a full-time degree-seeking program, the appropriate graduate program admissions committee will review. Each program’s admissions committee reviews applications once monthly beginning around the middle of the month. If the applicant meets all financial qualifications and is offered admission by the program, a formal letter of acceptance will be sent. The student must then pay the deposit ($100.00) indicating their intent to enroll. A Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) is issued to the student who has shown intent to enroll. The Certificate of Eligibility must be presented to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate along with a passport, the Longwood acceptance letter, and other information requested by the embassy.

Most students who enter the U.S. use an F-1 visa. The J-1 visa is appropriate for exchange students receiving a significant portion of their financial support from a government agency of their country, international foundation, or other educational sponsors. Students in the U.S. on F-1 or J-1 status must maintain a schedule of full-time study during the fall and spring semesters, and must report to the institution that issued the Certificate of Eligibility. Full-time enrollment at the graduate level is nine (9) credit hours per semester. Transfer from one college/university to another requires authorization from the new college/university. A prospective international student must have a current, valid, and legal non-immigration status before he/she can be offered final admission to Longwood. Do not plan to enter the U.S. on the tourist B-2 visa if you wish to pursue a full course of academic study. Transfer from the B-2 to the F-1 is very difficult, unless the B-2 is stamped “Prospective Student.”

All non-immigrant visas carry restrictions about employment and the length of stay in the U.S. Read the Certificate of Eligibility carefully. You must be willing and able to abide by regulations for your visa status. The Graduate Admissions Office is informed on ICE policies; however, the student has ultimate responsibility to follow new policies and to maintain valid status.

Students with Disabilities

In accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, students with disabilities will not be discriminated against on the basis of their disability.

Admission to the graduate program is based on the requirements outlined in the Catalog. Admissions decisions are made without regard to disability. All students are expected to present academic credentials at or above the minimum standards for admission as established by the Graduate Council.

Once a student has been admitted, requests for accommodations should be directed to the Director of Disability Resources at 434.395.2391, TDD 711, or by fax at 434.395.2434. The Director will work with the student, based upon appropriate documentation, to provide and structure reasonable accommodations to meet the student’s needs.

Longwood University recognizes both the wide variation in the needs of students with disabilities and the fact that as students progress through their programs, unanticipated needs may arise. Contact your academic advisor, the program coordinator, the College of Graduate and Professional Studies or Disability Resources as soon as possible if problems do arise.

Health Records

In accordance with 23-7.5 of the Code of Virginia, a full-time student (nine hours at the graduate level), enrolling for the first time in any public institution of higher education in this Commonwealth must have a health record and history on file in the University Health Center. Prior to pre-registration for the second semester, students must furnish documented evidence, provided by a licensed health professional or health facility, of diseases for which the student has been immunized, the numbers of doses given, the dates when administered, and any further immunizations indicated. These immunizations include diphtheria, tetanus, polio-myelitis, measles (rubeola), German measles (rubella), mumps, and meningitis according to the guidelines of the American College Health Association. Tuberculosis screening within the past year is also required. Any student who fails to furnish this information will not be eligible for registration for the second semester.

Campus Security

Two reports, by Virginia Commonwealth University and the FBI, ranked Longwood as one of the safest campuses in Virginia. An annually produced Campus Security Report is available at www.longwood.edu/police/. It contains campus crime statistics as well as university policies and procedures. A printed copy is available upon request.

The Longwood University Police Department includes the following sectors: Police Patrol Operations, Investigations, the Communications Center, Crime Prevention, Parking Services, and the Integrated Security Systems office. The administration and operation of the Longwood Police Department is executed to provide essential law enforcement, public safety, and related services to the campus community while utilizing the most up to date, efficient and effective methods available, maintaining established professional standards, and optimizing community support.