2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Mar 04, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Regulations

This section summarizes important information related to the academic work of the institution. Students must be familiar with the information in this section. It is the responsibility of each student to be certain that academic requirements necessary for graduation are completely fulfilled. The catalog for the year in which a student enters Longwood University governs academic regulations, general education, and graduation requirements. Transfer students may choose the catalog in effect at the time they enroll or the one which applies to continuous full-time students at their class level. If a student re-enrolls in Longwood University after an absence of: one semester, he/she will remain in his/her original catalog; two or more semesters, the applicable catalog will be the one in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Students may elect to graduate under the provisions of any subsequent catalog. In all cases, students must have been duly admitted to Longwood in an academic program of study and meet all of the requirements for graduation in one catalog. Students may not select partial requirements from more than one catalog. Students will be assumed to be under the catalog in effect at the time of admittance unless they notify the Office of the Registrar by completing a Program Change Form, indicating that they wish to adopt a subsequent catalog. Once a student has selected a subsequent catalog, they may not revert to an earlier catalog.

Catalogs are in effect for a six-year period. Students who do not complete the degree in six years may elect any subsequent catalog. If they fail to elect a particular catalog, they automatically become subject to the catalog in effect in their seventh year.


Continuous assessment is a fundamental characteristic of institutional accreditation as defined by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The Commonwealth of Virginia requires that public universities measure students’ academic achievement. Longwood University requires all students to participate in assessment as a condition of graduation.

The purpose of assessment at Longwood is (a) to help individual students gauge their learning and (b) to improve the educational programs of the institution. In the case of both the student and the institution, we intend to assess how effectively consensually-developed goals (for example, core competencies and student learning outcomes in general education and the majors) are being achieved, and, based on these assessment data, we intend to generate recommendations and plans of action that will help achieve these goals.

Assessment may take different forms (standardized testing, submission of portfolios, evaluation of papers or research projects according to a common rubric, etc.) and may involve different configurations of students (a randomly-selected group, all the graduating majors in a particular discipline, the students in a specific class, etc.).

Assessment results are reported within the institution and to external audiences. Longwood does not report individual student scores, but each student has an impact on overall scores. Student participation is therefore required. Students who fail to participate may lose their priority ranking for registration and housing. The institution may withhold transcripts for three months for graduating seniors who fail to participate.

When assessment does not take place as part of a regularly-scheduled course, students will be contacted by email at least two weeks in advance of the required assessment. Students will be excused from this assessment in the same manner as they may be excused from a Longwood class (see the student handbook) or a makeup time will be provided.

Academic Organization

For administrative purposes, Longwood University is divided into four colleges, each headed by a dean. Any academic rule or regulation making reference to a dean or specifying with the Dean’s permission is referring to the dean of the college in which the student’s major program of studies is associated. Students who have not declared a major are in the Cook-Cole College of Arts and Sciences.

Academic Advising

Longwood’s advising program provides informed academic counseling which makes effective use of the assessment, career planning, student development, and software resources available. Although course selection is important, advisors are trained and prepared to counsel or refer advisees on such matters as the following:

  • assisting students in understanding their abilities, interests, and limitations;
  • helping students clarify their values, developing an educational program consistent with these values, and relating their educational plans to their career plans;
  • referring students to academic and student affairs support services;
  • providing information about college and departmental policies, procedures, and resources;
  • reviewing opportunities for academic involvement, internships, research with faculty, honorary societies, etc.;
  • and, assisting students in evaluating their progress toward their educational goals.

Although the academic advisor assists students with curriculum decisions and options, the student bears full responsibility for meeting graduation requirements.

Newly-admitted students who have declared their intention to pursue a degree in a particular discipline are assigned advisors in the appropriate college. The assignment of the advisor generally is not changed unless the student changes his/her degree program. Students who have not declared a major are advised by degree auditors in the Office of the Registrar, located in Barlow Hall. Once students declare a major, they will be assigned an advisor within their major.

Prior to registration, students are required to consult with their assigned academic advisor regarding course selection, career goals, and relevant academic policies.

Declaration of Major/Minor/Concentration

Students may declare a major upon entering Longwood. Undeclared students who have completed at least 45 credit hours must declare a major prior to registration.

To change and/or add a major, minor or concentration a student must complete a Program Change form available at http://www.longwood.edu/registrar/procedures-forms/program-change-forms/.

Course Numbers

The courses listed in this catalog that are numbered between 100 and 199 are designed primarily for first and second year students; those between 200 and 299 are for first, second, and third year students; those between 300 and 399 are for second, third, and fourth year students; and those between 400 and 499 are for third and fourth year students. Courses numbered from 500 to 599 are for graduate students and advanced undergraduates; courses numbered 600 to 699 are for graduate students only.

Other courses offered: Internships (1-18 credits) - 292, 392, 492; Directed or Independent Study (1-18 credits) - 390, 391, 490; Seminar - 461; Honors Research - 498, 499; Special Topics (1-6 credits) - 295, 495; Study Abroad (1-18) - 311, 312.

Selected undergraduate Honors courses carry the designation Section 50 in the Master Schedule of Classes.

Student Load

Longwood University is organized on the semester plan whereby the credit hour, abbreviated as credit, is the semester hour. Students normally carry 15 to 18 credits, but may carry up to 21 if they earned at least 2.0 on their previous semester’s work. Students on probation or readmitted after suspension may not enroll in more than 15 credits per semester. Students may carry no more than 8 concurrent credits in any summer or session or intersession. A schedule beyond these limits requires special permission from the student’s dean. Students must take at least 12 credits to maintain full-time status.

Intersession, an abbreviated session which begins after the end of the fall term and ends before the beginning of the spring term, is appended to the spring term for financial aid purposes. Credit hours in intersession do not count toward the maximum allowed for the normal spring session.

Registration Procedures

Undergraduate students are expected to register after meeting with their advisor. After meeting with an advisor students can register via myLongwood during one of the opportunities provided during the academic year: Full registration procedures can be found at http://www.longwood.edu/registrar/19270.htm

  1. Registration: normally a two-week period in November for the following spring semester or in March/April for the following fall semester and limited to currently-enrolled, degree-seeking students.
  2. Summer Registration: normally begins in March/April with students required to register by Registration deadline for the session in which the course is listed.
  3. Orientation & Registration: new freshmen and new transfer students will register for classes during a summer Orientation & Registration program. New students who cannot attend an Orientation & Registration program should contact the Office of First Year Experience & Family Programs for assistance.
  4. Final Registration: the business day immediately preceding the first day of classes each semester.

Add/Drop Period

Students may make schedule adjustments (adds and/or drops)

  • until 5:00 p.m. on the sixth day of classes for fall and spring full term courses.
  • until 5:00 p.m. on the third business day after the officially stipulated begin date in abbreviated term, intersession or summer courses of at least three weeks.
  • until 5:00 p.m. of the officially stipulated begin date for any courses which are less than three weeks in duration. If the first meeting time of such a course is after 3:00 p.m., then a student has until noon of the business day following the officially stipulated begin date to add/drop the course.

All registration and drop/add transactions for new students (both transfer and new admits) must have the approval of the academic advisor and must be processed through appropriate procedures by the deadline to become effective.

A consultation with the advisor is encouraged for any change made during this period. Student athletes should not make any schedule changes without consulting with the Office of Student Athlete Academic Services. Courses dropped during this period do not appear on the transcript.


Appropriate dates for the last day to drop/add for full semester classes, and last day to withdraw without academic penalty are included in the official college calendar and in the Master Schedule of Classes for regular semesters.

Appropriate dates for last day to drop/add, and last day to withdraw without academic penalty are included in the summer school class schedule and in the appropriate descriptive literature for other classes not meeting on a regular semester pattern.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes. Failure to attend class regularly impairs academic performance. Absences are disruptive to the educational process for others. This is especially true when absences cause interruptions for clarification of material previously covered, failure to assume assigned responsibilities for class presentations, or failure to adjust to changes in assigned material or due dates.

It is the responsibility of each instructor to give students a copy of his or her attendance policy in the course syllabus.

Instructors may assign a grade of “0” or “F” on work missed because of unexcused absences.

Instructors have the right to lower a student’s course grade, but no more than one letter grade, if the student misses 10 percent of the scheduled class meeting times for unexcused absences.

Instructors have the right to assign a course grade of “F” when the student has missed a total (excused and unexcused) of 25 percent of the scheduled class meeting times.

Students must assume full responsibility for any loss incurred because of absence, whether excused or unexcused.

Instructors should permit students to make up work when the absence is excused. Excused absences are those resulting from the student’s participation in a college-sponsored activity, from recognizable emergencies, or from serious illness. Faculty may require documentation for excused absences in their attendance policy. Student Health Services will provide documentation of needed absence in very limited cases: only for those students who are sent home by Student Health (ex. Communicable disease). The Dean of Students may also provide documentation for students unable to attend class due to mental health reasons.


Written comprehensive examinations are given at the end of each course. For the regular session, two and a half hour examination blocks are scheduled during the final examination period which is indicated as part of the official college calendar. This scheduling is based on the course meeting pattern and is published with the Master Schedule of Classes for the semester.

When students have in excess of two exams per day they may request that exams be rescheduled.

During the summer session and for courses not offered according to the traditional semester format, the examination is normally given at the time of the final class session.

Withdrawal and Leave Policies and Procedures

Financial Aid Recipients: Please note that withdrawing prior to the 60% point in a semester significantly impacts a student’s eligibility to retain “unearned” financial aid, and may result in financial aid recipients owing large tuition and fee balances to the University. In addition, a registered student’s failure to attend class and/or to successfully complete coursework may reduce or cancel the student’s eligibility to retain (current or future term) financial aid. Financial Aid recipients are strongly encouraged to seek guidance from the Office of Financial Aid prior to leaving the University and/or completing the withdrawal process through the Office of the Registrar.

Students considering an interruption in their academic pursuits at Longwood University have the following options:

Undergraduate Student Withdrawal from the University

Current Longwood students who are not planning on continuing their enrollment with Longwood University after the completion of the term are required to formally withdraw. In order to officially withdraw, students must meet with a staff member in the Office of the Registrar. The formal withdrawal process will ensure cancellation of housing assignments, registered courses, tuition, and other associated charges. Students must officially withdraw from the University (drop all registered credits within the appropriate add/drop period) to prevent the assessment of tuition and fee charges and if applicable cancel his/her room/board assignment before the first day of the academic semester to prevent the assessment of room and/or board charges.

Students withdrawing from the University on the first day of the academic semester, or later, will be charged as stated under the Catalog section REFUNDS AND CHARGE ADJUSTMENTS.

Withdrawal is not official until a student has completed the withdrawal paperwork with the Office of the Registrar. Until this is completed, the student will still accrue financial liability.

Please note that the following actions will not substitute for a formal withdrawal (or course cancellation) and will not be considered justification for elimination or reduction of charges:

  1. Failure to submit payment for a course after registering
  2. Failure to officially drop a course for any reason, including an account hold
  3. Failure to attend class, log into Canvas, and/or complete coursework after registering
  4. Requesting release of official (or unofficial) transcripts
  5. Failure to apply for, receive, or accept financial aid and/or other third party tuition/fee assistance
  6. Voluntary or enforced cancellation of financial aid
  7. Failure to occupy Longwood-managed housing and/or to utilize campus meal plan

End of Semester Undergraduate Student Temporary Leave

Students who plan to complete their current semester but who will not return to Longwood for the subsequent semester (excluding summer term) must request an approved temporary leave from the Office of the Registrar. The request must be in writing to ensure cancellation of housing assignments, registered courses, tuition, and other associated charges. The letter must include: (1) the purpose for the temporary leave, (2) supporting documentation, and (3) a proposed date for return.

Students who receive an approved temporary leave will benefit by maintaining their myLongwood account, time ticketing for registration and will not be required to apply for readmission.

However, any leave may impact the student’s graduation date. Students are expected to return to campus within one semester.

Applicants will be informed regarding a decision via email by the Office of the Registrar.

Students who are denied a temporary leave will need to officially withdraw and apply for readmission for their return to Longwood University.

Mid-Semester Undergraduate Student Temporary Leave

Current Longwood students who are unable to complete the term due to health or other extenuating circumstances must contact the Office of the Registrar to facilitate an approved temporary leave from the University. The Office of the Registrar will work in conjunction with the Dean of Students to authorize a temporary leave from campus.

Students seeking an approved temporary leave must submit a request in writing to the Office of the Registrar. This request must include: (1) the purpose for the temporary leave, (2) supporting documentation, and (3) a proposed date for return. The Dean of Students will work with the Office of the Registrar to review the request and supporting documentation.

Students with an approved temporary leave will be withdrawn from all uncompleted courses. Students will benefit by maintaining their myLongwood account, time ticketing for registration and will not be required to apply for readmission. However, any leave may impact the student’s graduation date. Students are expected to return to campus within one semester.

Applicants will be informed regarding a decision via email from the Office of the Registrar.

Students who are denied a temporary leave will need to officially withdraw and apply for readmission for their return to Longwood University.

Students who are granted temporary leave will still be considered withdrawn for financial aid purposes and may be subject to cancellation or proration of financial aid funds. Refunds will vary depending upon the date of approval. Students do have the ability to submit a Tuition Appeal form which can be found at https://www.longwood.edu/media/cashiering-and-student-accounts/public-site/tuitionappealform6-6-162.pdf if there are legitimate circumstances.

Policy for the Withdrawal from Individual Classes

Students may withdraw from individual classes with a grade of “W” (not computed in the GPA) until 5:00 p.m. on the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes. After that date, withdrawals from individual classes are not permitted except for medical or other non-academic emergencies. A student who withdraws, for medical reasons, from a class after the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes must, by noon of the last class day, have a letter sent to the Dean of the student’s college by the student’s personal physician, detailing the nature of the illness and recommending withdrawal for medical reasons. In extenuating circumstances not related to academic performance, the Dean may grant a withdrawal from an individual course if a written request from the student is received by noon of the last class day. If the Dean approves the request, the Dean will send a copy of the request or letter to the Office of the Registrar and the affected grades for that semester will be noted as “W” on the student’s transcript. The Dean will notify the student’s faculty members of any grade changes.

Residential students who fall below full-time status will be referred to the Office of Residential and Commuter Life regarding permission to remain in managed housing.

For classes held in non-traditional time frames, such as summer school or for off-campus offerings, students may withdraw with no academic penalty during the first half of the course, but may not withdraw during the second half of the course except for medical or other non-academic emergencies.

The deadline to withdraw without academic penalty should not be confused with any deadline to withdraw and receive a full or partial refund of charges. Please see the “Expenses and Financial Aid Refunds and Charge Adjustments” section of the online catalog for information related to refunds and charge adjustments.

Suspension or Expulsion

Longwood will suspend or expel any student who fails to meet the standards of the institution and the Student Government Association. In such a case, refunds may or may not be made at the discretion of the Vice President for Student Affairs. A student who is subject to an immediate disciplinary suspension or expulsion shall receive a grade of “W” in all courses regardless of the time of the semester.

Disciplinary Interim Suspension

If a student’s actions are deemed to be a danger to campus, that student will immediately be placed on Disciplinary Interim Suspension and will be involuntarily separated from Longwood University until a subsequent hearing can determine the student’s permanent status. Ordinarily, such a hearing would be held within 5 working days, however; if the student is unable to attend the hearing within a reasonable period of time due to hospitalization or incarceration, the student will be administratively withdrawn for the rest of the semester. The student’s official transcript will be notated with “Admin Wd: See Dean of Students” and the student will be ineligible to return to Longwood until after the disciplinary matter is resolved and the student has successfully participated in the readmission process.


The achievement of a student in a course is indicated by the grade that is received. Grades for courses taken for undergraduate credit are recorded as follows:

Grade Quality Points Grade Quality Points
A 4.0 C 2.0
*A- 3.7 *C- 1.7
*B+ 3.3 *D+ 1.3
B 3.0 D 1.0
*B- 2.7 *D- 0.7
*C+ 2.3 F 0.0
WF Withdrew Failing    

*Prior to Fall 2011, there is no distinction in quality points awarded with a plus or minus grade. For example, a C+ would have 2 quality points.

Grades not calculated in GPA:

  AU Audit
  I Incomplete
  NP Not Passed
  P Pass (equivalent to C or better)
  W Withdrew

Special Grading

I: Incomplete. The grade of “I” indicates that because of illness or for other good reason the work of the semester has not been completed. When this work has been completed, a final grade will be reported. A grade of “Incomplete” will revert automatically to a grade of “F” if the necessary makeup work has not been completed and the grade recorded by the published date in the middle of the subsequent regular semester.
P: This grade indicates that the student has received credit for the course on a pass/fail grading option. This option is generally limited to elective courses and to certain courses offered only on a pass/fail basis.
AU: Audit. This grade indicates participation on a non-credit basis by students who meet certain minimum standards set by the course instructor. No academic credit is awarded for courses utilizing this grade. Students wishing to audit must have permission from the chair of the department in which the course is offered and are subject to the same tuition and fees as students enrolled for credit.
W: Withdrawal. This grade indicates withdrawal without academic penalty. It is automatically assigned for withdrawal from the end of the drop period (first six class days) through the 35th day of regularly scheduled classes of the semester and for other documented withdrawals (see paragraph on Withdrawal Policy).


Students may take certain courses under the pass/fail system. Pass/Fail courses are open to undergraduate students with 30 or more credit hours. A student may take a maximum of three courses; these courses may not be those which are required for general education or for major or minor requirements. Non-degree students may also elect the pass/fail grading option.

The student must do satisfactory work in order to obtain a passing grade. Satisfactory work is defined as “C” work or better. Courses taken under the pass/fail option will not be included in the calculation of the grade point average. Students who wish to take a course for Pass/Fail credit must notify the Office of the Registrar of that fact by the end of the first six weeks of classes in the semester, or the equivalent portion of a summer session. Once this declaration is made, grading status cannot be changed.

In addition to the elective pass/fail grading option described above, certain courses in the college curriculum are designated for pass/fail grading. Such courses do not ordinarily satisfy general education, additional degree requirements, major or minor requirements (except for internships/practica which may, at the department’s discretion, be graded pass/fail). The students enrolled do not need to make any special declaration and are subject to no restrictions.


Class size permitting and with department approval, a student may register for a course on an audit basis. Auditing a course means that a student enrolls in a course but does not receive academic credit. A student who registers for audit may be subject to other course requirements at the discretion of the instructor. Audit students are charged the regular rate of tuition and fees, and an audit course is counted as part of the student’s semester load. (For purposes of enrollment certification for VA benefits or other programs requiring “for credit” enrollment, audit courses will not count toward the minimum number of credits required for full-time status.)

The Office of the Registrar must be notified by the end of the Drop/Add period for a change in registration status from “audit” to “credit” or from “credit” to “audit” to occur. A course taken for audit cannot be changed to credit at a later date, nor can a course taken for credit be changed at a later date to audit.

Calculating your GPA

The quality of work completed by a student is recognized by the assignment of quality points to the various grades, commonly referred to as the Four-Point System. (See grade explanation above)

Under this system, 4 quality points are awarded for a grade of “A”, 3.7 quality points are awarded for a grade of “A-“, 3.3 quality points for a grade of “B+”, 3 quality points for a grade of “B”, 2.7 quality points for a grade of “B-“, 2.3 quality points for a grade of “C+”, 2 quality points for a grade of “C”, 1.7 quality points for a grade of “C-“, 1.3 quality points for a grade of “D+”, 1 quality point for a grade of “D”, and 0.7 quality points for a grade of “D-“. No quality points are awarded for a grade of “F”. Quality points are then multiplied by the credit hours to determine the total quality points earned in the course or overall.

The term GPA hours refers to the hours on which the grade point average is calculated. Courses that have GPA hours associated with them are courses which carry letter grades. Thus, GPA hours are the hours associated with graded course work. Courses taken for pass/fail credit or courses with a grade of “I’, “W” or “AU” are excluded from GPA hours and the GPA calculation. Courses taken at the graduate level appear on the graduate transcript and do not appear on the undergraduate transcript. Therefore, graduate hours are not included in the undergraduate GPA hours.

Under the four point system, a student’s grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of GPA hours. The grade point average is stated to the third decimal position and is not rounded but truncated.

GPA Calculation Example:

Course Hours/ Credits Grade Quality Points
BIOL 101   4 A 4hrs x 4.0= 16
ENGL 150   3 B- 3hrs x 2.7= 8.1
MATH 121   3 C+ 3hrs x 2.3= 6.9
PHED 101   2 F 2hrs x 0 = 0
TOTALS 12   31

To calculate GPA: 31 Quality Points/12 credits = 2.58 GPA

A student’s grade point average is based only on work taken at Longwood. Grades received in affiliate programs shall be counted in the student’s GPA only if the student registered through Longwood.

Repeated Courses

Students are allowed five course repeats for which the original grade is excluded and the most recent grade earned, even if it is lower, will be included in GPA calculation. This means you can retake the same course five times, or retake five different courses, or any other combination. Starting with the sixth repeat, both the original and the new grade will be included in grade point average calculations, but only the second enrollment will count in earned hours.

Only course work taken at Longwood University can be used in the repeat grade calculation. Transfer credits do not replace an earned grade. The repeat policy does not apply to courses which have an alternate repeat policy stated in the course description. Retaking a class can extend the time it takes for the student to graduate. Students do not earn additional cumulative credit (and may lose cumulative credit) when they retake a course, which can affect athletic eligibility.

All enrollments and grades appear on the transcripts regardless of repeat status. Grades for repeated courses after the fifth repeat are designated on the transcript with an ‘A(verage)’, in the repeat column of the transcript, to signify the grade is calculated in the grade point average. Prior to Fall 2011 repeated courses were designated by an “R” e.g. RA, RB, RC, RD and RF.

Grade Estimates

During the regular session, grade estimates are available to all first-year students, ROTC cadets, upper class students making a “D” or “F”, and students who are not making satisfactory academic progress (all students with a cumulative GPA less than 2.0). Estimate grades are due to the Office of the Registrar by noon on Monday of the seventh week of regularly scheduled classes and are available to students and advisors in myLongwood as soon as they are posted.

Estimates are not recorded as part of the student’s permanent academic record. They are, however, an important indicator of academic risk to students. This early warning should give the student time to improve academic performance where needed.

Grade Appeals

The faculty of Longwood University is unequivocally committed to the principle that evaluation of student work and assignment of grades is a responsibility and a prerogative to be exercised solely by the individual instructor.

However, should a student believe the final course grade received was unfairly or inaccurately awarded, the student first should see the instructor involved, for an explanation of why the grade was assigned. If the student continues to believe the grade is unfair, the student may file a written appeal with the department chair giving the reasons why the grade should be changed, with any available supporting evidence. The Department Chair/Dean will forward a copy of the appeal to the faculty member and will invite the faculty member to make a written response. For grades awarded in the fall semester, the written appeal must be submitted no later than February 1; for grades awarded in the spring semester and in summer school, the appeal must be filed no later than September 15. Appeals filed later will not be considered.

The Department Chair/Dean will, within two weeks hold a joint consultation with the student and the faculty member awarding the grade. If the matter cannot be resolved, the Department Chair/Dean will within one week of the joint consultation, request in writing that the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate appoint a committee to review all matters pertinent to the appeal. The committee will consist of three members of the full-time faculty in the same or related discipline(s). The Department Chair/Dean will send a copy of the request to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. When the committee has been named, the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate shall inform the Department Chair/Dean, who will forward to the committee members the student’s original written appeal, a course syllabus, any written response from the faculty member, and all other materials pertinent to the appeal. Through the Department Chair/Dean, the committee may request other materials from the student or faculty member. The committee shall decide that the grade originally assigned will remain unchanged or that it will be changed to a grade decided on by the committee. The decision of the committee is final. The committee will report its decision in a letter signed by all three members and addressed to the Department Chair/Dean, with a copy to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the appropriate Dean, the faculty member, the student, and the Office of the Registrar, who will record the grade. The review must be completed so that the grade will be final by the end of the eighth full week of classes.

Should the appeal involve a grade assigned by a Department Chair, the Dean of the appropriate College will assume the role normally assigned to the Chair. Should the appeal involve a grade assigned by a Dean, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs shall assume the role normally assigned to the Dean.

Students should be aware of the fact that the review procedure may result in a grade being raised, lowered, or remaining unchanged.

Policy on Modification of General Education or Additional Degree Requirements & Procedure for Petitioning

Modification to an additional degree (e.g., BA or BS, etc.) requirement or general education requirement for any student is done through a petition submitted to the Faculty Petitions Committee through the Office of the Registrar. A standing committee of the Faculty Senate, the Faculty Petitions Committee is empowered to handle appeals from students for waivers or variations from any university-wide academic rule or regulation.

A student petition must include the following:

  1. A specific rationale for the waiver or variation
  2. The plan for degree or general education modification
  3. Supporting documents when appropriate
    1. If the waiver or variation is sought for a general education or additional degree requirement that is specified by the major, the petition must include a letter of support from the department chair.
    2. If the waiver or variation is sought due to the impact of a disability, the petition must include verification of the following:
      1. The Director of Disability Resources, in conjunction with the instructor or department representative, evaluated whether reasonable accommodations could be made to allow the student to complete the requirements of the course and determined that accommodations which would not alter the essential function of the course were not possible.
      2. Appropriate documentation is on file with Disability Resources

The petition should be filed before an application for degree is submitted. All decisions of the Faculty Petitions Committee are final. Students may request a review based only on new information.

For information on Petition deadlines see http://www.longwood.edu/registrar/procedures-forms/petitions/

Academic Forgiveness Policy

A student who has previously attended Longwood University and is re-admitted after an absence of at least 24 months may be eligible for Academic Forgiveness. Academic Forgiveness is designed to allow students who began their academic career poorly with an opportunity to re-start their academic career. Academic Forgiveness provides the student an opportunity to have all grades, prior to their readmission removed from their Grade Point Average. In essence, Academic Forgiveness allows a student to re-start their Longwood Grade Point Average. With Academic Forgiveness, NO grades will carry over; even if they were satisfactory. To be considered for Academic Forgiveness, the student must complete 12 semester credits and earn at least a 2.25 Grade Point Average their first semester after returning to Longwood.

If Academic Forgiveness is approved by the Assistant/Associate Dean of the student’s college, the following form will be completed, signed by all appropriate individuals and given to the Registrar. The course work completed prior to his/her re-admission to Longwood will continue to appear on the transcript, but the grades will not be factored into the Grade Point Average.

The option of pursuing Academic Forgiveness is available to any student who has been not been enrolled in any courses at Longwood University for a period of at least 24 months, regardless of whether they had previously been suspended or chose to leave the University on their own. Academic Forgiveness is extreme and should only be utilized by students with extremely low Grade Point Averages for whom the re-take policy is insufficient. Again, no grades will carry over, even if they were satisfactory.

Additional Academic Forgiveness Specifics:

  1. Enrollment at another institution during the 24 month period does not prohibit a student from applying for Academic Forgiveness when returning to Longwood University.
  2. The student should consult with their College’s Assistant/Associate Dean before applying for Academic Forgiveness. Students then complete the appropriate form and submit it to the Registrar.
  3. Part time students may take advantage of this option after they complete at least 12 hours of coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.25 upon their return.
  4. All coursework taken upon return to Longwood University must be taken for a letter grade.
  5. Longwood students are permitted a total of five re-take options during their Longwood career. Although the grades for the courses prior to Academic Forgiveness are removed from the Grade Point Average, the number of re-take options is not. For example, a student who used two re-take options prior to Academic Forgiveness will have a maximum of three re-take options after Forgiveness.
  6. Academic Forgiveness may be used only once.
  7. This option is specific to Longwood University. If a student were to transfer to another school before completing a degree at Longwood, the receiving institution may not recognize the Forgiveness.
  8. Once a student completes a degree from Longwood University and decides to apply to a professional college (e. g., law school, medical school, graduate school), the professional college may not accept or recognize the Forgiveness.
  9. Students should consult with Financial Aid about how this policy will affect their status.

Academic Honors

President’s List

Longwood University recognizes superior scholarship through its President’s List, which is published at the end of each semester. Students whose names appear on it are those who have earned a semester grade point average of 4.000 on a minimum of 12 semester hours work taken. Students eligible for the President’s List must complete all courses in the semester for which they are registered. A grade of “I” on a student’s record prevents consideration for this honor.

Dean’s List

Longwood University recognizes outstanding scholarship through its Dean’s List, which is published at the end of each semester. Students whose names appear on it are those who have earned a semester grade point average of 3.500 - 3.999 on a minimum of 12 semester hours work taken with no grade below “C-.” Students eligible for the Dean’s List must complete all courses in the semester for which they are registered. A grade of “I” on a student’s record prevents consideration for this honor.

Academic Probation and Suspension Policy

Continued enrollment in Longwood is a privilege that is granted to a student who is making satisfactory academic progress. A degree-seeking student enrolled in Longwood is in good standing unless placed on academic suspension.

Academic Probation

Failure to earn a minimum grade-point average of 2.0 will automatically place a student on academic probation during the fall or spring semester that follows. Only course work taken at Longwood University will be calculated into a student’s GPA and be considered in the calculation of academic standing. Students are placed on probation based on their cumulative grade point average at the end of the fall or spring semester. Probation indicates serious academic difficulty and notice is placed on the student’s academic record when the cumulative GPA is below 2.000. Students on academic probation may not take more than 15 credits per semester and are encouraged to seek assistance in the Center for Academic Success.

Academic Suspension

Students will be suspended from Longwood University if:

  1. Their cumulative grade point average remains below 2.0 after two consecutive regular probationary semesters (fall and spring are considered regular semesters); or
  2. Their cumulative grade point average falls below 1.000 with 1-23 GPA hours at Longwood; or
  3. Their cumulative grade point average falls below 1.500 with 24 or more GPA hours at Longwood.

Students are suspended at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Students suspended at the end of fall semester may not take winter intersession courses. Students suspended after spring semester may not take summer courses.

The first academic suspension means required withdrawal from the institution for the semester (fall or spring) immediately following the semester in which the suspension occurs. A student who was suspended for spring semester may apply for re-admission for summer term.

A second suspension means required withdrawal from the institution for a minimum of five calendar years. Notice of suspension is placed on the student’s academic record.

Under extenuating circumstances, appeals for readmission or other exceptions to academic policies may be presented to the Faculty Petitions Committee. Students must contact the Office of the Registrar for information and deadlines for submitting an appeal.

For information on Petition deadlines see http://www.longwood.edu/registrar/42316.htm

Additional information can be found at http://www.longwood.edu/assets/registrar/Making_the_Grade.pdf.

Petition of Academic Suspension

If a student’s academic suspension is due to circumstances that were beyond his/her control and those circumstances will change, the student may file an appeal.

A student petition should include some or all of the following:

  1. Explanation of the extenuating circumstances that resulted in the academic suspension.
  2. Documentation of those circumstances.
  3. Plans for achieving academic success, such as a study plan, academic support measures, reducing non-academic commitments.
  4. Supporting documents from faculty or advisors.

The date for petition submission will be included in correspondence the student receives regarding his/her suspension. Appeals will be reviewed by the Petitions Committee for approval or disapproval.

Readmission after Suspension

Suspended students may apply for readmission to Longwood for the semester following completion of the suspension period. The student must apply at least 60 days before enrollment to the Admissions Committee, which will review the student’s record and citizenship at Longwood as well as courses taken elsewhere. A student denied readmission may appeal in writing through the Office of Admissions to the appropriate deans(s). Readmission to the institution is not automatic, even if the student has raised his/her cumulative grade point average.

A student readmitted after suspension must satisfy the following conditions until the student’s cumulative grade point average is a minimum of 2.000:

  1. Enroll under the status of academic probation,
  2. Maintain a minimum semester grade point average of 2.000 in each semester, and
  3. May not enroll in more than 15 credits.

If a student fails to achieve the minimum grade point average of 2.000 in any semester before achieving a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0, the student will receive a second suspension.

Longwood Policy on Student Records and Annual Notification

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records and requires the establishment of policies to safeguard student records and data. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education; Longwood student records policies comply fully with FERPA.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are “eligible students.” All students at Longwood University regardless of dependency are protected by FERPA.

The accumulation, processing, and maintenance of student data by the institution is limited to that information, including grades, which is necessary and relevant to the purposes of the university. Personal data of students will be used only for the purpose for which it is collected.

Student data, whenever possible, shall be collected directly from the student; every effort will be made to ensure its accuracy and security. It shall be the express responsibility of the student to notify the Office of the Registrar of any changes in status. Any student who initially or subsequently refuses to supply accurate and complete personal information, as is legally allowed, may jeopardize his/her current student status. Falsification of records with the intent to give untrue information is a violation of the Longwood Honor Code.

Longwood University designates the following categories of student information as public or “Directory Information.” Such information MAY be disclosed by the institution at its discretion. Directory information may include: the student’s name, home address, Longwood e-mail address, local telephone number, major field of study, classification, participation in officially-recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and dates of field experience. A student may inform the Office of the Registrar in writing that all directory information may not be released without prior written consent. A student who desires to restrict directory information from the public must complete the FERPA form (available in the Office of the Registrar).

Schools may disclose, without consent, “directory” information as listed above. However, Longwood will notify eligible students about directory information and allow a reasonable amount of time to request that the school not disclose directory information about them. Longwood will notify eligible students via email each October of their rights under FERPA.

Generally, Longwood must have written permission from a student in order to release any information from a student’s education record. However, FERPA allows Longwood to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions:

  1. School officials with legitimate educational interest;
  2. Other schools to which a student is transferring;
  3. Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
  4. Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
  5. Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
  6. Accrediting organizations;
  7. To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
  8. Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
  9. State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

Under FERPA, Longwood is not required to provide prior notification to a student when responding to a Federal grand jury subpoena or other law enforcement subpoena, which specifies that the student not be informed of the existence of the subpoena.

Eligible students are permitted to inspect and review educational records of which the student is the sole subject. Longwood policy regarding the inspection and disclosure of educational records is in compliance with the federal statute. To obtain a copy of the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Section 438) or a copy of the University’s policy on student records, contact the Office of the Registrar, Longwood, 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909.

Student access to all personal records shall be permitted within 45 days of a written request, during normal office hours. Students may also obtain copies of most parts of their records for a nominal fee. All records shall be available and in a form comprehensible to the student, except for:

  1. Medical records which, upon written authorization, shall be submitted to a psychologist or physician designated by the student.
  2. Confidential financial statements and records of parents as excluded by law.
  3. Third-party confidential recommendations when such access has been waived by the student. Where a waiver has been given, parents, as well as students, are excluded from viewing such confidential information.

During normal office hours, Longwood shall provide an opportunity for a student with proper identification to challenge information believed to be inaccurate, incomplete, inappropriate or misleading. This can be done either in person or by mail. All personal data challenged by a student shall be investigated by the Vice President over the area where the data is being challenged. Completion of an investigation shall result in the following actions:

  1. If Longwood concurs with the challenge, the student’s records shall be amended or purged as appropriate; all previous record recipients shall be so notified by the institution.
  2. If the investigation fails to resolve the dispute, the student shall be permitted to file a statement of not more than 200 words setting forth the student’s position. Copies of the statement will be supplied, at the student’s expense, to previous and subsequent recipients of the record in question.
  3. If a student wishes to make an appeal of the decision, the student may do so in writing to the President of Longwood University.
  4. The names, dates of access, and purposes of all persons or agencies other than appropriate Longwood personnel given access to a student’s personal records shall be recorded and maintained. Student records are retained by the institution for at least one year after completion of work at the institution. Permanent academic records from which transcripts are derived are maintained indefinitely. A student may request and receive information concerning the record of access to official Longwood records filed under the student’s name.

Inquiries concerning student records should be directed to the following departments. When applicable, schedules of fees for copies of these records are available from that office.

  1. Academic Records/Transcripts - Office of the Registrar, Brock Hall
  2. Disciplinary Records - Office of Student Conduct and Integrity, Lancaster Hall
  3. Financial Records - Office of Cashiering & Student Accounts, Lancaster Hall
  4. Financial Aid Records - Office of Financial Aid, Lancaster Hall
  5. Medical/Health Records - Student Health & Wellness Center, Health & Fitness Center
  6. Mental Health Records- Counseling Center, Health & Fitness Center

To comply with the provisions of FERPA, Longwood University will not release education records or personally identifiable information contained therein without the student’s written consent. Individuals seeking access to student records should include a copy of the student’s written consent when requesting non-directory information.

Release of Transcripts

The Office of the Registrar releases transcripts at the request of the student, provided there are no student account holds. Students may choose to request an unofficial or an official copy of their transcript. All transcript ordering information can be found at http://www.longwood.edu/registrar/transcripts/

Official transcripts

  • There is a cost of $10.00 per transcript
  • An online ordering service for official transcripts is available to all Longwood students, both current and former, through the Registrar’s website.
  • Official transcripts are produced within 3-5 business days of receiving the request. The student will be notified via email once the request is completed.
  • If the student does not wish to use the online ordering method, please contact the Office of the Registrar for alternative arrangements.

Unofficial transcripts

  • Current students may attain their unofficial transcript instantly by signing on to myLongwood and clicking on “transcript” under their Academic Profile.
  • Former students and alumni may request their unofficial transcript by accessing a request form through the Registrar’s website.
  • Unofficial transcript requests submitted to the Office of the Registrar are typically produced within two business days. They may be faxed, mailed, or picked up.

All transcripts are processed in the order in which they are received.

Statement of General Transfer Policy

In general, credits are accepted from institutions that are accredited by the appropriate regional accreditation agency provided such credits carry a grade of “C” or better and are comparable to courses offered at Longwood University (see exceptions listed in Specific Policies). Transfer of credit does not necessarily imply applicability to specific degree requirements.

Transfer Articulation Agreement With The Virginia Community College System (VCCS), Richard Bland College (RBC), The Maryland Community College System (MCCS) and Other Approved Out-of-State Associate Degree Programs.

An accepted transfer student who has earned an Associate in Arts degree (AA), an Associate in Science degree (AS) or an Associate in Arts and Sciences degree (AA&S) from the VCCS, RBC, MCCS or other approved out-of-state associate degree program, prior to entering Longwood is considered to have all of their lower-division general education goals met, is guaranteed junior class status, and is guaranteed that all credit earned for that degree will transfer (including D grades unless otherwise restricted for native students). The student must then meet major and degree requirements, except where those requirements have been met as part of the two-year college curriculum. Re-admit students cannot enter under the Articulation Agreement.

NOTE: Students who complete a foreign language course at the 202 level or above as part of the Additional Degree Requirements are exempted from Goal 10.

Credits earned through examination (AP, IB, CLEP or DANTES) that were awarded credit by a VCCS institution will be treated on an equal basis as other credits earned at a VCCS institution.

All other associate degrees will be examined individually for applicability of transfer credit.

Specific Policies for Transfer of Credits

  1. Students wishing to transfer VCCS “General Usage Courses” (such as cooperative education, seminar and project, and supervised study) will have to provide a college evaluator with additional information about the specific content of such courses.
  2. No transfer credit is granted for developmental work.
  3. No transfer credit is granted for orientation courses, or grades less than “C”, unless the student has earned the AS, AA or AA&S from the VCCS, RBC, or MCCS.
  4. Two courses with essentially the same content cannot both be counted toward the same degree.
  5. Hours or fractions in excess of those carried by Longwood courses for which equivalency are made are counted as free electives. Hours or fractions waived in accepting course equivalences must be made up by elective credits to meet the total semester-hour requirements for a degree.

The cumulative grade point average of each student will be calculated only on work taken at Longwood. Transfer credit accepted from other institutions will be used to reduce the number of credits required for graduation, but it will not enter into the calculation of the grade point average.

Additional Transfer Policy for Current and Former Longwood Students Taking Courses for Credit at Other Institutions

Any currently enrolled undergraduate who wishes to take work at another institution to transfer to Longwood must secure permission from his/her Dean prior to enrolling in such courses. Prior approval provides the student the opportunity to have the course reviewed to determine:

  1. whether the course will transfer;
  2. whether the course will satisfy a particular requirement; and
  3. whether the course might be considered a duplicate of a course already taken at Longwood.

Upon completion of work, official transcripts must be sent from the host institution to the Office of the Registrar.

Southside Higher Education Consortium

The variety of courses available to Longwood students is increased by a cooperative arrangement with the Southside Higher Education Consortium which includes Longwood, Hampden-Sydney, and Southside Virginia Community College. Under the terms of the arrangement, full-time degree program students in any one of the participating institutions may enroll in certain courses at any other of the participating institutions without added expense.

Students desiring to take advantage of this program must secure approval from their major advisor and from the Registrar at their home institution before they are enrolled at the other institution. Students are registered for courses based on enrollment limits at the host institution. Grades for courses taken under the consortium agreement are maintained only at the home institution.

Correspondence Courses

A maximum of 14 semester hours of correspondence course credit may be applied toward a degree.

WARNING: Correspondence courses should not be started after the beginning of the senior year, and must be completed and documented by no later than April 15 of the senior year, since failure to complete correspondence work is a frequent cause of failure to meet graduation requirements. Longwood does not accept, for transfer, credits earned through correspondence courses in the natural and physical sciences and certain other subjects. Students must obtain approval to include in the degree program correspondence and extension courses prior to enrolling in them. Otherwise, Longwood can assume no responsibility for accepting such grades on transfer.

The institution cannot grant a student permission to enroll in a correspondence course until after the student has attended this institution for at least one full summer session or a semester.

When a student is enrolled in Longwood University and also enrolls in a correspondence course, the credit to be earned in the course will be counted in the total load of work that the student is permitted to carry.

Commonwealth of Virginia 125% Rule

The Code of Virginia establishes rules for eligibility for in-state tuition for all students enrolled at public institutions in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Section 23-7.4: F of the Code of Virginia further requires undergraduate students to maintain progress toward the degree to comply with continued eligibility for in-state tuition.

Students with entry dates fall 2006 and after may not exceed completed hours that total 125% of the credit hours needed for a specific degree program and retain in-state tuition eligibility. Students exceeding 125% will be assessed a surcharge for each semester of continued enrollment after exceeding the credit hour threshold.

The following courses and credit hours shall be excluded: remedial courses; transfer credits from another college or university that do not meet degree requirements for general education courses or the student’s chosen program of study; advanced placement or international baccalaureate credits that were obtained while in high school or another secondary school program; and dual enrollment, college-level credits obtained by the student prior to receiving a high school diploma.

To refer to Section 23-7.4:F of the Code of Virginia, please use the following link: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title23/chapter1/section23-7.4/