Feb 15, 2019
The History Program offers a B.A. Degree in History as well as concentrations in Pre-Law, Public History, and Teacher Preparation in History and Social Science. Each of these programs in history requires completion of a modern foreign language at the 202 level or higher. A Minor in History is also available.
No grade below “C-” in major course work is accepted for graduation
Pre-law students are advised that they should present at least a 3.0 GPA (as well as a good LSAT score) to the law school admissions committee in order to be competitive law school applicants.
Civitae Core Requirements (39-40 credits)
History majors in the Pre-Law concentration may count Civitae Core courses satisfying major requirements as also satisfying their respective Civitae Core requirements, up to two Pillar courses and one Perspectives course. The following are the courses in this major that may be used in this way:
- HIST 125 and HIST 126 can satisfy the Global Citizenship Pillar requirement, for students who place into a 211-level language course or above
- HIST 221 , among others, can satisfy the Historical and Contemporary Insights Pillar requirement
- POSC 100 can satisfy the Human Behavior and Social Institutions Pillar requirement
Courses satisfying major requirements that are designated as Civitae Core courses subsequent to the print deadline of this Catalog will not appear in the above listings but will be eligible to also satisfy Civitae Core requirements, subject to the same rules as the others. (If doing so would otherwise decrease the total credits required for the degree below 120, General Elective credit must be substituted to restore the total.)
Transfer students go to Transfer Student General Education for requirements.
Additional Degree Requirements (3 credits)
Major Requirements (44 credits)
As noted above, some courses that meet major requirements are also designated Civitae Core Curriculum courses; such courses taken to meet Civitae Core requirements will be considered to also satisfy the associated major requirements (up to two Foundations pillars and one Perspectives course).
Core Requirements (10-13 credits)
Pre-Law Requirements (9-12 credits) (plus 0-3 credits included in Civitae Core Curriculum)
Area Electives (18 credits)
A minimum of six credits of Area Electives must be taken at the 400-level and must be taken in at least two different areas (US, EU, NW).
- United States History Electives (US)/6 credits at the 300 level or above
- European History Electives (EU)/6 credits at the 300 level or above
- Non-Western History Electives (NW)/6 credits at the 200 level or above
Accounting and Economics (3 credits)
Choose 3 credits from the following courses:
Internships and Directed Research (1 credit)
One credit from the following courses:
General Electives (33-34 credits)
Total Credits Required
- BA in History with concentration in Pre-Law 120